'PAINTING STILL LIFE' INSTRUCTION BOOK
• Themes • Composition • Background • Light • Color
by PETER GRAHAM 128 pgs, Hardcover
• OFFERS ADVICE on selecting suitable materials and equipment for the best results
• FOCUSES ON UNDERSTANDING perspective, lighting, and composition
• ILLUSTRATED THROUGHOUT with finished work and step-by-step demonstrations showing the methods used
• EMPHASIS PLACED on mixing and blending colors including pastel, watercolor, oil, and acrylic
• AN INVALUABLE SOURCE of practical information and inspiration for beginners and artists wishing to increase their skills
PETER GRAHAM is one of Britain's most gifted and distinctive modern colorists.
He graduated from Glasgow School of Art in 1980 after which he trained as a film editor and worked for the BBC for five years before starting to paint professionally in 1986. During a British Council-sponsored residency in Singapore he produced a collection of fluently drawn and beautifully composed works, enhancing his reputation as a flamboyant painter of color and form. Peter's works are in many private and public collections worldwide and have been featured in numerous publications.
For over 400 years, artists have explored the world of still life; it is perhaps one of the most attractive of painting subjects.
An Introduction to Painting Still Life explores all the major techniques and media offering the artist a wealth of valuable information on how to achieve the
The opening chapters discuss selecting the right equipment, and examine the importance of understanding drawing, learning
the basics of perspective, placing emphasis on lighting, choosing and arranging a subject for a successful composition, and mixing and blending colors.
The text is complemented by a gallery of contemporary work paying particular attention to differing approaches. In addition there are practical step-by-step demonstrations showing the methods used to achieve varied and outstanding results. From pastel to watercolor, and oil to acrylic, they reveal how the different media can be used to create stunning visual effects.
An Introduction to Painting Still Life aims to enthuse, encourage, and stimulate your ideas and be a source of inspiration for
your still life work.